Tuesday, 23 February 2016

The Struggles only a Glasses Wearer will Understand


I've been a wearer of glasses since the age of 12- well actually very recently the proud owner of contact lenses which I wear more frequently than glasses.

My first pair were bright purple and pink thick framed, rectangular glasses that I am pretty sure would not have looked out of place with some Disney character adorning them. I honestly thought these were the height of sophistication. I have a slight obsession with tortoiseshell so for a long time I was the proud owner of a pretty cool pair of glasses. More recently, however, I got a pair of slightly oversized black, plastic framed specs that maybe are slightly more age appropriate.


I truly couldn’t live without my glasses; life would be a total blur… but here are some struggles I’m sure every glasses wearer has at some point:

Rain
How is it even with an umbrella that your glasses get soaked?? The number of times I think I have nearly been run over as my glasses resemble the inside of a shower curtain is unreal.

Being in the kitchen or coming in from the cold
Opening the oven or dishwasher to be met with plumes of smoke or temperature change deems me totally blind for a few seconds. So annoying and everyone around you just laughs.

Driving
A strange one but so often your peripheral vision is slightly hindered by wearing glasses. Rather than being able to simply just move your eyes to look at a sign you often have to turn your whole head to avoid just seeing the inside of your glasses frames.  

Putting on make-up
Applying make-up is like stepping into the total unknown. You have no idea until you put on your glasses whether you actually look half decent.

3D film watching
Truly one of the most uncomfortable feelings having to wear two sets of glasses.

Issues of romance
It does slightly ruin that moment when you have to stop or hold back on something to remove your glasses. I suppose if they like you enough this shouldn't be a problem you would hope.

Inadvertent comments
People assume I am brighter than I am actually am when I wear my glasses… maybe a good thing I don’t know??
People love to try on my glasses and tell me how blind I am. Thank you so helpful!
Ella xx 

No comments:

Post a Comment