I will put on a few pictures of my room to show you what it looks like…
I am lucky enough to be in a part-catered hall at Southampton, only one of two, which so far I have really enjoyed. I have definitely benefitted from the social aspect of being in catered halls, meaning I actually have to make an effort at mealtimes. This has allowed me every morning and evening to have an excuse to catch up with some of the friends I have made through halls. I think being self-catered definitely does have its benefits but I feared that I would become slightly isolated if no one else was in the flat kitchen either cooking, eating or socialising.
The rooms in my halls tend to slightly vary in size with my room being one of the medium sized ones. You still pay the same price regardless of size, unless you have an en-suite room. Stupid I know! I then share a tiny kitchen with the rest of my corridor of around 20 people, but having most of meals cooked for us makes this a lot easier. We then have a large bathroom with 4 loos and 2 showers for those 20 people. So far I don’t think I’ve ever had to wait for a shower which is great.
![]() |
| Duvet cover and blanket: Primark, Slippers: Joules, Cushions: Mainly Cath Kidston, Red Scarf: Zara |
I have tried to make my room as homely as possible
putting up lots of pictures I have printed off from home up. Lots of people saw
it as a good excuse to come and talk to me when I first started at university,
so were a brilliant way to break the ice and find things I had in common with
the people I live with. I also brought lots of cushions and blankets too just
to try and make my room a little cosier. The picture is not very clear but my
duvet cover has French Bulldogs on. I went through a slight obsession of loving
them so thought it was rather cute.

Above my bed and opposite my bed I have lots of shelf space. I have tried to put all my folders on one shelf and then all my books and textbooks on another. Again I have tried to keep these areas homely with any cards that I might have been sent over the last 4 months and lots of my personal stuff like jewellery and notebooks too.
Over the last 4 months I seemed to have accumulated
various foodstuffs, so a designated food shelf has been created! Very
useful because it is just behind my desk chair allowing for a little mid-work
session snack. The shelf above all my food has my mugs, plate, cutlery and
things like teabags and spreads (I have a slight addiction to peanut butter so
I wanted easy access to it.)
In the corner I have my basin area which has a cupboard underneath for storing all my washing powders and also my clean sheets and towels. Next to this is my chest of drawers with all my clothes in. Currently, there is very little on top of my drawers but normally I would keep my bag for lectures on there or any folders I might need for a certain day.
My desk seems pretty self-explanatory and has my laptop, printer and everything I might need for doing my work and anything I might want near my bed too. I would really recommend getting a year diary planner to write any deadlines, commitments or lecture times in. This has been a slight saviour for me as quickly I can have an overview of what I am doing for the next week. Life has been far less stressful. I am thinking a wall planner would be an even better addition to my wall just to quickly glance up at for an overview of the semester. Will definitely consider getting one for September. I haven’t taken a picture of this but I have a built in cupboard next to my desk and shelf which is pretty large to keep some of my clothes and shoes.
Well that was a quick rundown of what is in my university room. If you would like to know anything else may it be about my room, my specific halls or halls life in general I would love to help!
Ella xx






No comments:
Post a Comment